Friday, March 7, 2008

Once


As a lot of you know, I have been over the moon this year about the movie, ONCE.

It was a small independent film , made with 2 handycams over the course of 2 weeks, but it resonated with me.

The story is of 2 musicians who just broke up with their significant others and collaborate through song about their heartache. It came out at a time in my life when I was going through the same things they were in the film. I related to their raw emotion that came forth as they belted out these songs in the flick.

It's safe to say that the multiple listenings of the soundtrack helped me through the second half of 2007.

But a funny thing happened as I progressed through my own personal trials and brought myself to my current positive state of mind. I started to notice that the second half of the movie and soundtrack is filled with optimistic songs of hope and strength.
Now it's these songs that I find myself listening two again and again.

Yesterday, I was on a website related to the movie and saw that Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, the leads of the movie are going to be here in concert in SLC. This is so exciting. I bought the tickets for my friend April's birthday which is the week of the concert, but it is really more of a present for me.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I encourage you to see it. It is Rated R and I know that's an issue for some, but it's mostly because they say the F word a bunch of times. But they say it with an Irish brogue so it sounds better than if it were some guy from Jersey.

If that's still an issue, give a listen to some of the songs on itunes. You'll thank me later.

1 comment:

Never A True Aggie said...

Hey Bob! We saw your link on Janelle's blog. Don and I saw the film back when we were in Cali and loved it. We bought it a month or two ago. I am so happy it won Best Song at the Academy Awards. Anyway, it is a great show. See Don's review at www.drawger.com/donkilpatrick. I agree about the f's. With the accent it was hard to even hear them half the time. Anyway, glad you are doing well. You can check our family blog at www.kilpatrick.wordpress.com