Monday, March 31, 2008

Working from home



Well, part of being single dad means that if I have a sick kid I have to take care of him/her AND work.
Luckily I have a full work rig a home, so it's an easy problem to solve.

Currently Caleb is my little sick guy. About 7 last night, he started having the dreaded diarrhea. I'm sure he would horrified if he knew I was letting everyone know about this.

Then later in the evening I was informed that Friday while at his mothers home, he was throwing up. That would have been something nice to know when he came over on Saturday. Might not have sent him to that birthday party in the afternoon.

Oh well, we're both a little tired, having been awakened every 2 hours by uncontrollable bowels. (I hope noone is eating while reading this.)

Currently he is able to help me work. Here's some pics of him coloring in my office.


My sister says that when he is able to start eating, give him the B.R.A.T. diet. Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast. Seeing as he doesn't eat half those things, he'll be on the R.T. diet.

Does anyone out there, have any other tips??

2 comments:

Never A True Aggie said...

I hate throw up and diarrhea comes a close 2nd. A few weeks ago Liam threw up all over our bedroom floor at 4 in the morning. Fun times.

We drink tons of Gatorade. It is about the same as Pedialite and it is cheaper and tastes better. Rice will stop him up. Toast is good too. Yeah, my Mom used to tell us about the BRAT. If he will eat yogurt, that works as well.

You should try the mix ins for veggies. It has been working well for me thus far. If I am cooking something orange (with cheese, etc.) or red (tomato sauce, etc.) you can mix in pureed yams, carrots or squash. I have found squash to be the least noticeable. If you are cooking something white, I mix in cauliflower (so cream sauce kind of stuff). I can email some of my recipes to you so it will be easy to figure out. Good luck. Throw up is over in about 24 hours. The big D takes a little longer. You might want to get some flushable wet wipes (target makes a good generic brand over by the kids diapers). His little bum might be a bit sore.

Janelle said...

Good tips Katie. I was going to say popsicles in the bath. All kids like popsicles and baths so we mix the two when the kids are sick. Helps with ouchie bums too.