Monday, January 28, 2008

Sundancing

So after living here for three years, I finally saw my first Sundance movie. Unfortunately, it wasn't a memorable one. It was called Guitar. It was about a girl who was told she had inoperable throat cancer, gets fired from her job, and dumped by her boyfriend all in one day. She's told she has a month to live and she should get her affairs in order.

It's an interesting concept. What would you do if you were told you had a month to live. How would you spend those last 30 days. Well, she decided the thing to do would be to rent a penthouse apartment in Manhattan, rack up insurmountable credit card debt and have sex with whoever came to her door. So for an hour of the movie she ordered from high-priced catalogs and then got friendly with the delivery guy. Meanwhile, the time clock in my head kept waiting for her to get weak and die. But it didn't happen. Somehow this behavior magically made the tumor disappear.

So then my mind is left wondering how is she going to cope with now being evicted from her apartment, having this crazy credit card debt and no job.

Well the solution was easy in the movie. She went into the park playing her guitar. A band found her and asked her to join. She was now a rock and roll star.

Afterwards the director had a Q+A where she talked about how this story was an important one to tell, and how it was her mission to get the movie made. I'm sorry but telling the courageous story of a cancer victims last month would be more memorable it actually was courageous and not selfish and just plain ridiculous.

Their was one redeeming thing about the movie. I think I saw Robert Redford in the audience.

..............

So, I wish I had more info on the thing I've been so elusive about, but I don't. So far, it's been bad timing. There's certain things in my life that need to be completely put to bed (pun intended) before I can even attempt to start anew. I just hope that this opportunity is still available at the time I can finally try to start over.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wasn't this movie called "Last Holiday" with Queen Latifah?