Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Punishment

My cousin Mickey was in town last night. His company, Symantec, purchased a company out here, and he comes in town every now and then to do training or teach employees how to submit their will to Symantec and Norton Utilities.

Mickey and I took Caleb to pick up some carryout from my favorite Chinese place down the street. Before I left, I gave Kelsey and Karissa explicit instructions not to fight or get into trouble, I would be back in ten minutes.

When we returned with the food, I came through the garage door and had a nice view of the backyard, where my sweet angels were walking atop the 8 foot high fence/stucco wall that surrounds our property as though it were a balance beam.

I screamed at them for an embarrassingly long time and sent them to their rooms. Then I went to the kitchen to get dinner on the table. I looked out the kitchen window which has a slightly higher vantage point and noticed that my neighbors behind me were having a nice quiet family dinner outside on their patio, which was interrupted first by my daughters walking on the wall, then by my maniacal screaming.

I sent the girls to showers and bed directly after dinner. Of course they felt this was unfair; I felt it was not enough. If I would have pulled a stunt like that when I was a kid, the punishment would have involved a paddle that my mom bought at Six Flags.

What do you think? Is it enough punishment one night of going to bed early, and should I apologize to my neighbors and let them know to expect many more rants by me.

2 comments:

Emi Edgley said...

Aren't kids the best?!?

This reminds me of the books Madeline and also Madeline's Rescue.

"Nobody knew so well how to frighten Miss Clavel... until the day she slipped and fell!"

Madeline has a need to break the rules in order to have some fun. And even though Madeline gets in trouble and learns her lesson, things have a way of working out for the best.

I am sure your neighbors understand the FEAR that you felt seeing your daughters performing their circus act. And the girls will understand someday (perhaps when they have children also).

Never A True Aggie said...

Parenting is so FUN! It is BANANAS! and not in a Gwen Steffani kind if way. Your neighbors know exactly how you feel. I constantly hear, "You are the meanest mother in the world!" and "That is SO unfair!" and occasionally "I hate you!" You just have to give some time for the kids to either cool off or learn their lesson. They probably won't do it again, which is what you wanted right? So what you did was the right thing. Just to make you feel happy...I was picking up Maren at her after school day care and Liam was in tow. He started by talking like a baby in the parking lot with, "Ma-ma, ma-ma" Just like a baby. I ignored him. Then he said, "Carry me! Carry me!" Not so much a request, but a demand. So, I kept walking. He was pushing me back and crying and trying to stop me from walking...all in front of parents getting their kids. He screamed the whole time. Fun times!