Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kids say the darndest things - Part One




At church I teach Sunday School to nine and ten-year-olds.

Last Sunday, we were discussing the Beatitudes and got to the verse, Blessed are those that mourn…

I asked the children if they knew what mourn meant, and they didn't. I gave an example of how we had to put our cat down a couple months ago. She was old and sick and even though we loved her, we had to do this. We miss her and wish she were around still, but we know she is in a better place. One girl in the class talked about having to put her dog down.

Then a boy in the back of the class says, "We had to put my grandma down."

I looked over at the co-teacher for help on what to say, but he was already covering his smile up with his hands.

Stunned and not knowing what to say, I replied, "yeah that's a good example." I turned to write something on the board.

No comments: